We work to combat residential exclusion and its effects
COHABITAC is the coordinator of foundations that promote and manage social rental housing in Catalonia.
The foundations that make up COHABITAC have been approved as Social Promoters, in accordance with article 51.2 of Law 18/2007 on the right to housing.
The foundations that form Cohabitac have promoted about 10,000 Social Housing
We manage about 3,500 social rental social housing
We manage 7% of the social rental housing stock in Catalonia
We contribute to increasing an affordable housing stock with a guarantee of stability over time while ensuring the social and welfare needs of those who need it most.
We fight exclusion
We work to combat residential exclusion and its effects through the promotion, purchase and management of social rental housing under strict criteria of good practice.
- We interact with different administrations in order to get them a single voice and promote projects that we then award among our associated foundations based on suitability criteria.
- We work for the configuration of a legislative and fiscal framework conducive to the creation and sustainable management of social rental housing.
- We foster synergies and collaborations with other entities, institutions and professional associations. We share experiences, problems and proposals, with the aim of giving the most effective, comprehensive and humanistic response possible to the housing emergency.
- We prepare studies and reports on the reality of social rental housing and we propose and defend proposals for improvement in all areas that affect it.
- We work to raise public awareness of the social importance of housing.
From the foundations:
- We promote, buy and manage homes for social rent under parameters of good practice.
- We promote and manage social rental housing and affordable social rental.
- We promote homes on land in temporary lease (surface right) and rent them at 7 € per useful square meter and month (affordable social rent), and we could do so at 5’5 € per useful square meter and month (rent social) if the subsidies were adequate.
- We manage very social rental housing.
- Mainly through obtaining empty flats or the second-hand market, either by buying them (usually by trial and error) and rehabilitating or renting them and being their concessionaires, we generate rental housing for · Groups at risk or in a situation of exclusion to whom we carry out tasks of support and social supervision.
- In cases where these homes are inclusive, we complement this support with the support of entities specializing in their specific problems (disabilities, addictions, gender violence, etc.).
We work under common management criteria to ensure efficiency and contribute, as much as possible, to the progress of people and their better coexistence.